Thursday, August 7, 2008

Adopting an Angel

I just read an editorial written by Steven Curtis Chapman (renowned Christan musician) about the loss of his daughter, Maria, earlier this year. Maria had been adopted - that much I knew. How the Chapman's came to decide on adoption was part of the story I did not know. It touched my heart and I think will yours as well. I've added a link to the article below. But there was one part that I had to share here... one that, as a mother, brought tears to my eyes:

In our travels to Latin America, Africa and Asia, we have visited many different orphanages. If you look past the surroundings and into the eyes of the children, they all have the same look. They seem to convey, "I don't think this is what I was made for. Where do I belong?" These children are crying out for the hope of a family, for the hope of community, for the hope of a permanent love.
I have never really spent much time thinking of adoption. Ryan and I have been blessed with a biological child (with hopefully more to come). I had always thought of adoption as an option for those people who had been unable to conceive. How short sighted. I can't tell you that Ryan and I will choose to adopt simply as a result of this article. But what I can tell you is that it will be the springboard for a discussion on that very topic.

Steven Curtis Chapman's Article on CNN

No comments: