Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Lactagen User Trial Diary: Two Months Out

Ok, so its been a little under two months after completing the Lactagen regimen. I'm still a fan, but maybe with some slight reservations. While I have not used Lactaid once these past many weeks, I have had a few incidents where I encountered problems. Most of them were mild to moderate and there was one I'm not sure I can link up cause and effect.

Basically the times I've had issues were as follows:

Travelling home on a flight - had no breakfast and had a cheese/cracker tray for lunch. I focused mainly on the brie. I got sick on the plane and unfortunately that was one of the bad ones. However, I don't always travel well and am infamous for getting "travel tummy" so I can't say for sure what the cause was.

Days later, I had some ice cream cake at work and about 20 mins later didn't feel well. The symptoms were moderate - bloating, a little gas and one trip to the restroom.

Finally, today I had some cheese soup for lunch. It was another doozy. I was very ill for about 30 minutes. Had I been in a meeting, travelling or out and about it would have been a disaster. As it was getting that kind of sick at work was still no fun. However... I did follow that up later in the day with a hot chocolate made with milk - no issues.

I've had a few other times where I've had a little bloating and pressure but nothing worth really worrying about at all. And I have had plenty of dairy including whole glasses of milk with no issues. My guess is the times I've had issues were times I went for a while without dairy and my body was readjusting. But that's an uneducated guess on my part.

In addition, my co-worker who's husband was severely LI has completed the program and is doing great! So, my bottom line is that I do think it works. I do think its a "use it or lose it" deal. And I do think you'll still have issues. It is not a "cure" per se - more like a conditioning process. So take my info for what it gives ya and best of luck to all you LI readers!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't find a way to email you, so I hope this works. I stumbled across your post about Lactagen today, and would be very interested to hear how you're doing now, after several months. I'm so skeptical about this type of stuff and afraid to experiment. I know everyone's different, but I haven't read anything from people that are still doing OK after doing the Lactagen route.

FlippyHolz said...

Hi Dot! I hope you're able to find this! I'm actually doing just great!! I have dairy all the time. Right now I'm having a full on dairy hot chocolate with whipped cream from Starbucks in fact! :) I had cheese pizza last night - no problems. I can't remember the last time I had an issue actually. Now having said that, I still don't realllly push it (don't have a huge glass of milk everyday or anything) but I have had ice cream, sour cream, milk-based products, mac-n-cheese, etc with no problems to report. While I cannot give it a resounding "heck yeah" just because of the fact that I haven't realllly gone "dairy crazy" but for my day-to-day living I've had no issues.

Also, a friend whose husband was *severely* LI started right after I finished up my trial and he is still going strong as well! So I hope this helps you come to a decision. For me, the expense was worth it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for replying so quickly. Your response gives me heart. I'm including my email address, as I have a few other questions.
dljbinder@hotmail.com
I'm one of those who are severely LI and just find this all too good to be true. I would appreciate being able to talk to you further, if you're willing.

Lemon Robot said...

i also would be curious to see how you are doing now after the lactagen. I also wanted to let you know, if you didn't already that not all cheese or "dairy" items have lactose in them. Being from Wisconsin, where we take our cheese seriously, I was at first bummed, but then found that "aged" cheeses are naturally lactose free. Swiss, provolone, cheddar, etc. Basically when going to the supermarket you look at cheese slices and if the info on the back says 0g sugars, you are in the clear. I found most cheeses are lactose free, but American is not (which they use at fast-food burger joints.) Also "cultured" sour cream is the same thing. if it says cultured it naturally doesn't have lactose. (Thank God.)

I hope this helps too, but I really really hope you don't have to worry about these things anymore because you're doing great. I'm on DAY 2 of Lactagen and was wondering how you're doing now. Thanks for all you're writing on the subject, and I would love 2 or 3 sentences on your progress.
Thank-you again!

FlippyHolz said...

Hi Lemon! Thanks for stopping by.

Sadly, I let my daily dairy go and within the past month or two (holiday time) found my LI back again. *sigh* I can't fault the Lactaid really - I wasn't good at making sure I had some dairy everyday -- or even every few days.

Thanks for the info about dairy! Some I knew, but a lot I didn't! I bet the readers will also find it really valuable!

bleurain said...

Hi,
Do the instructions for Lactagen specifically say that you need to consume dairy everyday to remain 'cured' after the 38 days?

FlippyHolz said...

Hi Bluerain!

I wish I could give you a specific answer. Its been so long since I was on the program and I did not save the packaging (we've since moved houses). I do recall them saying you needed to continue to consume dairy regularly in order to maintain your "cure" but I cannot say for sure whether they specifically recommended everyday. I just know that was the impression I was left with.

Sorry I can't be more help!