Friday, January 4, 2008

TGItW

Thank God its the Weekend.

As with most people, weekends have always been my golden times. As a kid I got to stay up to watch Fantasy Island and maybe even have a friend sleep over. As a teenager I got to go out and 'hang' with my friends. In college it was time to let off steam and party like rock stars (or stupid kids - or maybe that's the same thing). In law school it was the brief respite between grueling weeks of stuffing knowledge into my already full head. As a 20-something in the work world it was the time to find all the new hotspots and the hotties there in.

Now, in my 30s - married and with a young child I have officially lamed out. The 18-year-old me would be so disappointed. I vividly remember asking my sister, who is almost 4 years older than I am, to come out with me to my favorite bar one night when I was 21. She declined saying that she didn't like the loud music and slobbering drunks - that she would rather sit in a quiet pub with her friends and chat over drinks. I remember thinking "oh my gawd don't ever let me get that lame". Well folks I am wellllll past that lame. I cannot remember the last time I've seen the inside of a dance club. Sure I go out from time to time to a nice restaurant bar or maybe even a pub but those instances are few and far between compared to the younger me.

This weekend I will spend my time catching up on housework, emails, shopping and connecting with friends. I will do a little cooking, cleaning and internet surfing. But most of all I will spend my free time with my daughter and my husband making silly faces to get a baby giggle, or reading "The Very Quiet Cricket" for the umpteenth time since she loves the pictures, or playing endless rounds of peekaboo. In the evenings, after Cora is in bed, hubby and I will pour a glass of wine, put in a movie and hunker down on the couch. My guess is I will be in bed by 10:00.... Maybe 11:00 if I'm feeling brazen.

This is what the 21-year-old me would have called a bitterly disappointing, "lameo" weekend. Its what the 34-year-old me calls wonderful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've now surpassed your "almost 4 years older" sister. Even she went out for drinks with a group of friends (to a local watering hole) on Saturday night. ;)

FlippyHolz said...

Ahh but look, I found someone lamer than me!

Simple Explanations: Alex Noel, 16, a finalist in Rhode Island's Great Pumpkin Weigh-Off in October, said his success raising his (1,224-pound) pumpkin was because "You spend all your time with it. No sports. You just come home and be with the pumpkin." [United Press International, 10-21-07]