Friday, February 15, 2008

Happy Endings

Sometimes Valentine's Day can be a lot like prom - all hype and no content. I'm glad to say that was not the case for me. The day ended much better than it began.

Once I got home, I got my Valentine's gift. I got a Slanket - for those of you not in the know, a Slanket is like a blanket but with sleeves. See: It is AWESOME and I have wanted one forevah! Yay! Those of you who know me know I have an almost neurotic need to be warm at all times. I hate watching TV with hubby in the basement cuz it gets sooo cold. Now I'm all fixed up! I immediately put it on, plopped down on the couch and could barely bring myself to get up when the folks showed up to watch Cora while hubby and I got ready for our night out.

Luckily Coco was happy with the Grands while I got ready. My reconstituted hair/makeup (no time to shower) worked out great and my new dress looked wonderful on. Hubby looked handsome as ever and off we set for our dinner. After our last "exciting" dinner out I was a little afraid of what we may end up with but let me tell you as expensive as it was (and it was - yikes) it was worth every penny. The meal was wonderful and the dessert even better - I actually closed my eyes a few times just to savor the homemade chocolate truffles and Panna Cotta). The waiter had his work down to an art form - always nearby but never intrusive and we never wanted for anything for even a second.

The Menu:
Baby Spinich Salad with chicpeas, bacon and lemon vinegarrette
Lobster gnocci with shrimp and cream sauce
Seasoned sea scallops in an aoli
Panna Cotta with strawberries and homemade chocolate truffles
Bottle of 2006 Forman Chardonnay

I gave hubby his gift - an iPod Touch - and he seems to love it! He was overdue for one, having never had an iPod before, but getting me one to have in the delivery room with me last year. Apple had his engraved on the back and so while not as traditionally sentimental as some gifts, I hope he'll love it just the same. Plus I got my card at dinner with some really wonderful sentiments (which will remain just for me) inside.

We arrived back home before 9:00 (wow) to find Coco sleeping peacefully and my mom making her bottles to store in the fridge for the next day. Mom and Dad bugged out to allow hubby and I to share some spouse time on the most romantic day of the year. It was all in all a wonderful night. Yes Coco still woke up a few times, and even needed to be rocked back to sleep once or twice (I think just to make sure mommy and daddy were there) but I didn't mind. And today I'm enjoying my "day off" - but that's for tomorrow's tale!

No comments: