Sunday, March 8, 2009

NutriSystem - Day 2

Ok day 2 ... harder than day 1 and unfortunately, more calories taken in on top of that.  Definitely noticed being hungry and had some odd side effects?  Here's the report:

Breakfast:
  • NS Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal
  • String Cheese
  • Mandarin Orange
  • Maxwell House Coffee
The oatmeal wasn't what I expected. I'm used to microwaveable instant oatmeal.  This stuff you put the water in but then microwave the whole thing for 5 minutes (which I thought was quite a lot).  It wasn't bad necessarily - just bland.  And a different texture - more "whole oaty" - you could actually "chew" each oat.  I wouldn't say it was bad... just bland and not great.

Lunch:
  • NS Cheese Tortellini
  • McDonald's Side Salad
  • Newman's Own Light Italian Dressing (1/2 pack)
  • 2/3 pack Croutons 
The Cheese Tortellini were also bland.  The pasta sauce was almost too sweet and the cheese in the tortellini was chalky.  Also, when I was done I noticed that the container was mostly tomatoes and pasta sauce though I can't say I left the table hungry. My fun find for the day was that a pack of McDonald's croutons only has 60 calories!  (yes I survived a trip to the golden arches with my hubby and kiddo!)

Snack:

Ok here is where I got REALLY hungry.  I think the 2-3 o'clock hungries are going to be my challenge.  I ate my whopping 5 green olives (seriously) for my "fat" for the day.  30 mins later I couldn't take it and caved and ate 1tsp of peanut butter.  I also finally went and got a cherry Coke Zero.  I'm worried about the caffeine I'm taking in, but its the only thing that helps stem the hunger between meals.

Dinner:
  • NS Teriakyi Sauce, Beef, Rice & Vegetables
  • Non Fat Cottage Cheese (1/4 C)
  • Water
I give this a resounding "ok".  The meal itself had good flavors and did taste Asian-inspired.  However note the title of the entree and it will give you a clue as to what order the quantity of ingredients is based.  At least half of the weight of the product was sauce.  There was a fair amount of beef but it was certainly not prime beef - I actually had to put aside a few pieces due to gristle and fat.  It wasn't horrid and I admit I'm a picky eater when it comes to beef, so take that for what its worth.  There was only about 1/8C of wild rice in a small well to one side of the entree.  I think, apart from water chestnuts, I saw three other veggies total.  The one thing I find odd about this one is that most calorie counters know that the easiest place to find hidden calories is in sauces - we usually steer clear of them.  I didn't finish more than half the sauce and so this makes me wonder if I saved significantly in calories.... but since NS doesn't break that out, I'll never know.  I'd eat this one again though. 

Treat:
  • NS Microwavable Chocolate cake
This is where things went horribly wrong.  Horribly, horribly wrong.  I was so excited to see a microwaveable chocolate cake.  So excited in fact that I ordered 4 of them.  Big mistake.  I did not expect them to taste like Betty Crocker, but I DID expect them to taste.  My first warning was when I licked the batter off the fork while it was in the microwave... it tasted like some bland mixture of weak cooking cocoa and water.  Then after the suggested 5-minute cool, I tasted it.  The only way I could describe it would be if someone created a water-based spongy paper product and then BARELY flavored it with chocolate. I felt like I was eating a wet newspaper that someone had spilled a drop of hot chocolate on.  Knowing full well I only have one snack a day allotted to me, I actually threw it away and got out another chocolate bar like last night's.  We'll let Future Me worry about what to do about that missing dessert....

NOTE:  I'm noticing some weird things going on with my body.  I don't know if its the diet, if its detox, if its the caffeine, or if its coincidence.  I'm noticing a lot of the same symptoms that I had when I tried to do the juice detox (the Lemonade Diet - you have only juice for 10 days... I made it 2).   My chest, from time to time, feels "restricted" or as if its a little harder than normal to breathe - I notice this more when I'm having one of my "hungry" times.  I'm also noticing the glands in my neck feel swollen - especially on the left side.  Its almost to the point I'd call it a sore throat but not really.  And I have a headache often.  It could be that the Whoppers and onion rings of days past really are detoxing through my system.  Or it could be that my body is in a bit of caloric shock.  Or it could be the increase in caffeine (I used to drink almost NONE before this).  I'm going to see how things go over coming days.

Tomorrow will be my first day at work on NS.  On one had it should be easier - more to keep my mind busy and not as many snacks in arms reach.  On the other I will be sitting at my desk allll day with nothing else to do and will be around snacking and lunch-eating co-workers.  Yipes.  

FINAL REPORT:
Grade:  C
Caloric Intake: 1157.3 (not counting the bite of microwave cake)
Weight lost as of morning weigh in:  1.2 lbs
Total weight lost:  1.2 lbs

No comments: